Where the wheels of poetry and prose spin ...

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Designed to Love You - POEM of the MONTH!


Designed to Love You

I was designed to love you, but --
Betrayal arrived with my first breath;
I committed treason on a cosmic scale
And for that my sentence is death.

I was designed to love you --
Molded clay from which I stand,
But I destroyed your masterpiece --
From Paradise to a wasteland.

I was designed to love you,
So I worked to gain your favor,
Then I molded gold into a calf
And glorified in all my labor.


I was designed to love you,
But I left you like a prostitute,
And wallowed with the swine
Until I was stubbornly destitute.

I was designed to love you
But I spat slander in your face,
Pounded the nails into your hands
And disregarded your embrace.

I was designed to love you, and --
Although you drew me to your waters
And I followed you out of the boat,
I denied you over, and over, and over.

A mystery from the beginning:
I was blind to your eternal view,
But because you loved me first
I am redesigned to love you!

Because you went to the cross
And came to my rescue,
Because you defeated Death
I am redesigned to love you.

~

Also published in Synchronized Chaos, May 2017. Last stanza added March 2024.

#poem #poetry #potter #clay #design #love

No comments: