Where the wheels of poetry and prose spin ...

Friday, May 26, 2017

Clarity - a short story

Clarity

            My heart lifted with the rise of each foot into Golden Gate Park at dusk. The full moon peeked through the cityscape as if God shined a light onto my empty page; but I moved to sit under the spotlight of a streetlamp and began to write. At the edge of the park, between grass and concrete, the pen teetered like a metronome from the Painted Ladies to Ocean Beach – beating with the heart of the city. 

"The Painted Ladies, San Francisco" by Alex E. Proimos 
is licensed under 
CC BY-NC 2.0.
             There is something unique and god-like about placing one letter after another until a single word spins onto the page. From the empty void of imagination does a sentence form into creation.

            I sat with the incomplete thought and held it in my hands – the page in one and the pen in the other – until the sunrise peeked through the Manhattan towers and pierced the sleep from my eyes. Like the exit of a lucid dream I entered the room of a beautiful and glorious young woman – my bride. Her name is Clarity, but I call her Clara. She arose from her paper-scattered desk as the light from the window across the room filtered out the primeval thoughts of the morning. Her hair golden, illuminated the space and time and thought which permeated the room. One could glean ideas just being in her presence. Her eyes met mine, a sleepy yet welcoming smile kissed my own. She was a vision. Our affection drew us into an embrace, and with the skill of a thief she slipped the notepad from my hand.

            As the embrace flirted with the intimate, her eyes caressed the words I had written. I closed my eyes and dreamed of her response. I drifted. Time stood still. Moment. Scent. The softness of her hair.

            She stood. I know her love. I know her truth, as well. Her pen had scratched out the first paragraph – nothing more. She gazed at me in her pre-coffee state, “You’ve never been to San Francisco, and you are not God.”

            My heart felt like a pincushion. It always did whenever she sentenced my work to death – even if it was only a portion. But – she was right. As the light of Wisdom is.

~

Proverbs 1:20-21 NIV
"Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square; on top of the wall she cries out, at the city gate she makes her speech ..."

No comments: